Google+ The Marketing Survivalist: Do Businesspeople Still Play Golf?

Do Businesspeople Still Play Golf?

We signed the family up for a season pass to the local golf courses this week. I took golf lessons as a kid and I get to play about once a year with relatives. I can play, but I always resisted playing at corporate events because I thought my golf game wasn’t good enough.

Then, I took an informal poll at the office and was amazed at the number of people I work with who don’t play golf. Interestingly, they all own their own clubs “just in case” but, like me, they don’t play regularly. The only ones who do were the CEO and our Corporate Counsel.

So, it leads me to the question, is golf still a strategic skills for businesspeople? Maybe it is for other industries. I work in the software industry which is largely made up of IT types. While not unathletic, their preferences seem to be for more Gen-X sports like rock climbing, kayaking, and snow boarding.

For me, I’ve decided to work on the golf game. If nothing else, it’s a conversation starter. And, although I may never “ink the big deal” out on the course, I look forward to not being embarrassed if I’m ever asked to play. Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Rank or Vote for This Blog