Google+ The Marketing Survivalist: Twitter - Hopelessly Lost but Happy

Twitter - Hopelessly Lost but Happy

I'm just over one week into my Twitter experiment and I have to admit it, I still don’t get it! But, I think that’s OK.

This morning, I watched a webcast from David Armano on MarketingProfs.com. He was speaking about social media in general. Excellent webcast, by the way. Well presented with many good ideas. David is an avid Twitterer and follows almost 2000 people. He mentioned in his presentation that most people either love or hate Twitter.

If I were to pass judgment on Twitter at this stage, I’d have to say that I’m trying to remain ambivalent and failing. I really hate the tool. I only follow six people and my Twitter page is such a hodgepodge of stream of consciousness comments that I’m about ready to scream. It’s like a sci-fi story where suddenly you can hear everybody’s thoughts. Your brain becomes so overloaded that it shuts down.

That’s with only following six people. How on earth could someone make sense of this with 2000 people? I am begging any avid Twitterers out there to tell me how you do it.

But as I said at the beginning, I think the hostility I am developing toward Twitter is OK. I will keep at this. David made another good point in his presentation when he commented that you don’t know where Twitter will end up.

Twitter is clearly a social media experiment that’s just beginning. There is no right or wrong way to use Twitter. Twitter’s purpose is being defined by the people using it. Either it will evolve into something useful, even if it’s not useful for me personally, or it will wither on the vine. Or it will be acquired by a big corporation, but that messes up the “market will decide” factor so I won’t go there.

What’s important is that the experience I gain from using Twitter is helping me see social media in a different light. I am constantly looking beyond the tried-and-true ideas like blogging to think about what’s possible. Whatever come after Twitter, I will be ready for it. That’s why while I hate Twitter, I still think it’s so cool. Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Rank or Vote for This Blog