Google+ The Marketing Survivalist: This is the Thanks I Get?

This is the Thanks I Get?

I wrote a post recently suggesting that salespeople should show a little more gratitude in order to get what they need out of the rest of the organization—especially marketing. I must have been feeling a little grumpy that day. I still believe it, but hopefully it didn’t come across as too whiny!

Another friend of mine who is also in marketing was grousing a bit about salespeople not respecting her time. I’m not sure she took it so well when I suggested that it’s just the way it is. Perhaps she wasn’t looking for my advice.

But, that is just the way it is. Marketing is not the profession to be in if you are motivated only (or even primarily) by gratitude and respect from others.
I listened to a lot of Zig Ziglar early in my career when I was in sales and spending a lot of time in the car. The phrase that probably stuck with me the most was, “You can get everything you want in life if you just help enough other people get what they want.”

It’s one of the really cool things about marketing. I can achieve my goals and aspirations if I just help enough salespeople achieve their goals. However, over the years, I’ve learned not to expect them to be grateful nor even to really give it much thought. Unless, of course, their sales are down and they need to defer blame. It’s why I’ve learned to live by the numbers! For more on that, click here.

But salespeople are salespeople - and we need them to be! When it comes to your time, you have to understand that you take second fiddle to customers. I wouldn’t have it any other way. If I’ve generated a qualified lead for them, I’d rather have them reschedule our meeting so they can win the business.

And, it’s not just those of us who generate pipeline. If you’re in branding forget it. Most of the salespeople I’ve worked with think branding is theoretical B.S. and a complete waste of money. If you’re working on design, don’t expect them to like your work. Everybody thinks their sense of color and style qualifies them to be a critic of marketing design. If you’re trying to create anything from positioning statements that resonate or ads that bring in customers, sales (and everybody else) will be happy to give you their opinion forgetting that they are not the audience!

Hopefully, your manager respects the job you do and can give you the kudos that you deserve. If not, you’ll have to work doubly hard at celebrating your own successes and being satisfied with knowing that you are contributing to the success of others – even if they don’t acknowledge it. (Assuming that you are, of course!)

If you really can’t be satisfied with that and you need appreciation to keep going, I encourage you to get out before your attitude starts to crumble. I’m not sure what a good second choice to marketing is, but I do know that marketing is also not the profession to be in if your attitude stinks.

All the best!

Melissa
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Rank or Vote for This Blog