Google+ The Marketing Survivalist: Do You Like Who You Have Become?

Do You Like Who You Have Become?

I’m always surprised at the subtle, and sometimes not-so-subtle, ways my personality and outlook on life changes when I change jobs. I worked for one company for a few years that was an awesome place to work. Brilliant people. Great benefits. Fun work. But, the culture was very direct and often crossed the line into needlessly confrontational. It was a real battle for turf. I think confrontation can be constructive but it can also get in the way of reaching team goals. Now that I’ve left, I think of myself as the “kinder, gentler me.” I’m happy with that.

Seth Godin’s October 24th post, Be Careful Who You Work For, is spot on. He advises people to take more time making the most important marketing decision of their lives.

While I agree with that, I’m not sure that now is the best time to jump off the bandwagon. However, you can prepare yourself to look for a work environment that suits who you want to be by getting your resume updated and working on your internet presence through Linked In and other networks.

Sometimes it’s just an individual you work for or with that poisons the atmosphere. If your organization is large enough, perhaps there are opportunities on other teams that will decrease the amount of contact you have. Or, if you are lucky, maybe you have the option to work from home. (while preparing yourself to find an opportunity that suits you better.) Avoidance isn’t always the best thing for your career, but it can help you hang on to your sanity while you work on your future.

None of us has to be doing the work we are doing. A CEO I know was fond of saying, “you are not an indentured servant” whenever he heard people complain. We can’t all quit our jobs on a whim. And, sometimes it takes a lot of effort to find what really suits you. But, if you are unhappy, remember that YOU are the one who is responsible for your being where you are. We are all the sum total of our choices. Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Rank or Vote for This Blog