Google+ The Marketing Survivalist: Friday Dilemma - Where Do Your Loyalties Lie?

Friday Dilemma - Where Do Your Loyalties Lie?

As I mentioned last week, marketing is about more than mechanics. In my Friday Dilemma series, I will be presenting a series of situations that any marketer can easily find themself in. Often, these situations are less about marketing 101 and more about handling people. Sometimes, I'm hoping they have you asking, "where do I draw the line between right and wrong?" I think today's dilemma is one such situation and I hope the scenario makes you really think.

Before I introduce you to today's dilemma, I want to point out that these are not my scenarios. I got a very nice email after last week's post offering to talk with me offline to help me resolve my problem. Yes, I've certainly faced these scenarios in my career, but I have 20+ years of the good, the bad, and the downright ugly to draw from. These scenarios do not necessarily reflect my current situation. (thank goodness!)

Anyway, have some fun with this one. And please, share your thoughts and ideas if you are comfortable doing so.

Today’s Dilemma – Where do your loyalties lie?

You recently left one company to work for another. The company you left was down-sizing and, unfortunately, your number was up. But, you still left on good terms and remain friends with many of your former colleagues. You even get together with them for happy-hour every now and then.

Your former and current employers are head to head competitors. When you get together you’ve decided it’s best to avoid talking shop as much as possible. Your friends seem to feel the same way, although no one has ever really said so. There are certainly conversations about the industry and what’s going on with your mutual competitors, but usually no one talks about the inner workings of their own organizations – at least nothing that could potentially be damaging.

Then one day one of your friends has a rough day and lets it slip that one of the big accounts that he manages is shopping for a new vendor. He’s not sure he can save the account and, if they leave, it’s going to have an impact on him personally. He’s pretty bummed about it and is rambling on about why the customer is unhappy.

His admission leaves you speechless. You know your sales team would love to get into this account. You always thought the account was fairly satisfied with their current vendor so you had advised against targeting them. Now, based on what your friend has told you, you realize that the timing is perfect. You even know what buttons to push!

Is this information something you should use to the benefit of the company and your career, but to the detriment of your friend?
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Rank or Vote for This Blog