Google+ The Marketing Survivalist: Making Face to Face Networking Easier

Making Face to Face Networking Easier

Here’s a nice little video from BNET and Executive Coach, Leila Bulling Towne, on how to make networking easier. Actually, it’s nice to see a post focusing on the basics of old fashioned face to face networking again!

Leila does mention LinkedIn at the end of the short clip. To her comments I would add that you should be sure to send requests to connect to the people you meet at the live event. Hopefully, you had a chance to jot down a few notes about your conversation on the back of their business card so you can help them recall who you are. Of course, don’t do this if they are Asian! If you are meeting with people from countries like China and Japan, and your memory is bad, you can excuse yourself and run off to the bathroom every now and then so you can jot down a few notes in a notebook Your colleagues might wonder if you’re feeling well, but at least you won’t inadvertently insult anyone.

I had a special technique that I used when I was younger and less sure of myself at these types of events. I would follow Leila’s advice and get to know a bit about someone. But, instead of wracking my brain for small talk, I would think about who else in the room they might like to know and make the introduction. Introducing customers to each other at company events is a great way to make them feel comfortable and to take the heat off of yourself. It worked so well that I still do this at events whenever I feel my energy lagging and I’m not up to a full blown conversation. Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Rank or Vote for This Blog